To help celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday, Atkins library invites you to explore Accessible Archives. The US has a rich collection of primary source publications that provide insight into the day to day lives of our citizens throughout the years. In the past many of these materials have only been available in print or microform, but now with the Accessible Archives database you can search and read the full text of popular titles of the past. The collection includes “Diverse primary source materials reflecting broad views across American history and culture,” including:
- 19th Century African American Newspapers
- American County Histories
- American Civil War primary resources – newspapers, first-hand accounts from soldiers and generals, and perspectives from different parts of the country.
- Godey’s Lady’s Book
- History of Women Suffrage
- South Carolina Newspapers
…and much more!
If you are looking for US Primary Source material from the 19th century, Accessible Archives is a great place to start. In addition to being a great research tool, it is also incredibly interesting and entertaining to read about subjects of interest from the past. For example in Godey’s Lady’s Book you can look at an article about How to Make Toiletries from Home.
Please visit Accessible Archives to start your journal through America’s past through the eyes of those who lived it!